Connect with us
LASTEST

NEWS

He’s Our Son – Okpebholo Disowns Aide, Says Davido Welcome In Edo

Published

on

He’s Our Son – Okpebholo Disowns Aide, Says Davido Welcome In Edo

He’s Our Son – Okpebholo Disowns Aide, Says Davido Welcome In Edo

  • The Edo State Government has disowned a declaration by Governor Monday Okpebholo’s media aide that Davido had been banned from entering the state or performing there for the remainder of the governor’s administration.

  • Okpebholo’s Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media, Apostle Kassy Chukwu, had accused Davido of disrespecting the governor and his family, claiming that some Edo youths were angry with the singer and warning that he could face a hostile reception if he returned.

  • Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, said Davido remains welcome in Edo, describing him as one of the state’s illustrious sons and saying the government would be willing to collaborate with him if he chooses to perform in the state.

  • Afegbua said the disagreement between Davido and Okpebholo arose from political activities surrounding the Osun governorship election and insisted that what transpired was “purely politics and nothing more”, rather than a personal conflict.

August 22, () — The Edo State Government has disowned a declaration by Governor Monday Okpebholo’s media aide that Nigerian music star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, had been banned from entering the state, insisting that the singer remains welcome in Edo.

The government’s position came barely hours after the governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media, Apostle Kassy Chukwu, declared that Davido was no longer welcome in Edo and had been banned from performing in the state for the remainder of Okpebholo’s administration.

reports that Chukwu, in a video shared on YouTube by Peniel TV International, Benin City, on Friday, accused Davido of making disrespectful remarks about the governor and his family and warned that the singer could face a hostile reception if he returned to the state.

Ask ZiVA 728x90 Ads

“You have been banned from coming to Edo State to perform. We don’t want to see you in Edo again”, Chukwu had said.

Chukwu also claimed that some youths in Edo were angry with Davido and warned that the singer could face opposition even at the airport if he returned to the state.

Advertisement

However, in a statement on Friday night, the Edo State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, said the state government had nothing to do with the purported ban and described its author as an “impostor” and a “fraud”.

READ THIS  BREAKING: INEC Declares Adeleke Winner of Osun Governorship Election, Secures Second Term

“Like all other Nigerians, we love and welcome Davido in Edo State. Our enemies are at it again; we did not ban Davido from entering Edo State. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo State; an impostor, and a fraud”, he said.

The commissioner said the Edo State Government was distancing itself from what he described as “spiteful behaviour”, stressing that the state remained open to Nigerians irrespective of their beliefs, political persuasion, affiliations or legal status.

“The Government of Edo State hereby dissociates itself from such spiteful behaviour, and wishes to state further that Edo State is home to all, regardless of their belief, political persuasion, affinity and or legal affiliation”, he said.

Afegbua further declared that the state would be willing to work with Davido if the singer decides to perform in Edo in the future.

Advertisement

“As a matter of fact, should Davido intend to perform in Edo State in future, the state will be willing to collaborate and partner with him”, he said.

The commissioner also described Davido as one of Edo’s illustrious sons, noting that the singer’s mother hails from the state.

“Governor Okpebholo is very well balanced at home with various demographics and their leanings. Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State; he’s exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him. Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him”, Afegbua said.

The conflicting positions come against the backdrop of the escalating public dispute between Okpebholo and Davido, which intensified during political activities surrounding the August 15 governorship election in Osun State.

READ THIS  NCDMB’s Oil And Gas Park To Become Operational Q4 2026

Okpebholo had criticised Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, Davido’s uncle, during the campaign, including comments about Adeleke’s dancing and aspects of his conduct as governor.

Advertisement

Davido subsequently responded by sharing what appeared to be Okpebholo’s West African Examinations Council (WAEC) result on his Instagram Story.

The singer later defended the post in an interview, saying he had no reason to apologise. He argued that he had merely shown Osun residents the academic record of a governor who travelled to the state to campaign against his uncle.

Davido also criticised Okpebholo for leaving Edo to participate in the Osun election and questioned the governor’s electoral mandate.

Chukwu’s subsequent declaration that Davido had been banned from Edo was presented as a response to the singer’s refusal to apologise and his criticism of the governor.

But Afegbua, in the latest statement, sought to draw a line between the political disagreement and the Edo State Government’s official position, insisting that the dispute was not personal.

“Whatever transpired in Osun State in the wake of last week’s election was purely politics and nothing more. There was nothing personal in the conversations that deepened the campaigns”, he said.

Advertisement

The commissioner also praised Davido for his contribution to Nigeria’s international image, describing him as one of the country’s global ambassadors.

“Davido is a young man who has remained one of Nigeria’s global ambassadors, doing us proud and building bridges of understanding across the socio-political divides”, Afegbua said.

He said the Edo Government was pleased with Davido’s achievements in the music industry and expressed hope that he would eventually win a Grammy Award.

“As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to him being awarded a Grammy title”, he concluded.


Advertisement

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Enable Notifications OK No thanks